Undergraduate Admissions Information

From Centenary College Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Admissions Department Goals & Mission

Centenary College seeks to provide students with the ability to demonstrate True Learning, Global Citizenship, Service Leadership & Team Building and a Values-Centered Life. Therefore, the College considers students for admission on the basis of their ability to successfully complete the academic curriculum while upholding the above core values and contributing positively to the broader academic community.

Admissions Requirements

Students seeking admission to Centenary College must:

  • Be graduates of an accredited high school or preparatory secondary school, or the equivalent.
  • Have their SAT or ACT scores, including a writing score, submitted to the College.
  • A personal interview is strongly recommended.

Centenary College admits students without regard to race, color, sex, handicap, age, and national or ethnic origin. To complete the application process, Centenary College requires the following:

  1. An application form completed by the student and sent to the Admissions Office with a nonrefundable application fee. Visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current fees. This fee is not credited to the annual charge. It is used to offset the cost of processing the application to Centenary College. Students are welcome to apply using the Common Application of the Centenary Application.
  2. Official transcript of school records
  3. SAT or ACT scores(writing component required).
  4. An application essay
  5. Letter of recommendation

Please Note: International students must submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE examination results and a completed Certification of Finances Form. An application fee (visit www.centenarycollege.edu) should also be included. For more complete information, international students should contact the School of International Programs.

Please Note: For students seeking admission into either the Visual Arts: Graphic Design or Visual Arts: Studio Art program, a portfolio of artwork is also required. The student's portfolio should contain 15-25 pieces of original artwork. The portfolio may be in slide format or actual work may be presented at the time of the review. The faculty of those disciplines determines final decision of the student’s admission to the Studio Art program or the Graphic Design program.

For students seeking admission into the Equine Studies major, a riding video is required showing yourself riding a horse to the best of your ability. The Equine Studies faculty determines final placement into the courses within the program.

Scholarships, Awards, and Special Programs

Centenary College participates in and supports a variety of special scholarships, awards, and special programs that aid students financially and academically. For more information on Centenary's scholarship programs, contact the Admissions Office directly at 1-800-236-8679

Centenary's Scholarship Program

Centenary's innovative scholarship program is merit based, streamlined, and easy to understand. Scholarships are available to both freshmen and transfers who are classified as full-time. Students moving from part-time status to full-time status for the first time may also be eligible for an award. Students who have been out of school for an extended number of years will be reviewed on a case-bycase basis. Students must have a minimum of thirty-two (32) credits left towards completion of the undergraduate degree to qualify for a scholarship.

Academic Awards

(Limited awards available)

Qualifications for freshmen are based on the high school GPA and SAT or ACT score. Transfer students with 24 or more transferable credits qualify based on the cumulative college GPA. Transfers with less than twenty-four (24) transferable credits will be reviewed based on the high school record, standardized test scores, and cumulative college GPA. Academic awards are renewable, providing the student maintains satisfactory academic progress each year.

Alumni Grant

An Alumni Grant is available to the child or grandchild of Centenary graduates. Eligible students must be in good academic standing.

Other Opportunities

There are a variety of opportunities available related to other clubs and activities. Limited awards are available.

Phi Theta Kappa

Transfer students who are members of Phi Theta Kappa may be eligible for a Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship.

Recognition Award

Transfer students who have completed their Associate Degrees may be eligible for a Recognition Award.

United Methodist Church

Centenary College also offers a scholarship for students who are active members of the United Methodist church. A comprehensive program of need-based grants is also available to freshmen and transfer students who demonstrate financial need as evidenced through completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

For more information on Centenary's scholarship programs, contact the Admissions Office directly at 1-800-236-8679.

Freshman Admission

Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible to take full advantage of financial assistance opportunities, as well as housing and other student services.

Home Schooling

Applicants who have completed high school through home schooling must self-certify that they were home schooled and provide a transcript of coursework completed. SAT or ACT scores are also required.

Centenary College welcomes applications from home schooled students. Home schooled applicants should submit, to the extent possible, credentials similar to traditionally schooled students. These include:

  • A statement describing the home school structure and mission, with a description of the curriculum used.
  • A transcript or record of courses successfully completed, that demonstrates completion of a high school curriculum, with grades if awarded. If you did not receive grades, an explanation of the methods of assessment for course performance should be provided.
  • Official SAT or ACT scores(writing component required).
  • Application essay.
  • Letter of Recommendation

Home schooled applicants are encouraged to visit campus for a personal interview to explore their specific educational goals and objectives and co-curricular experiences.

Admissions Guidelines for Entry Requirements

Sixteen (16) academic units, with the following distribution of high school course units included:

English 4 units
History 3 units
Mathematics 3 units
Science 3 units, including at least one lab
Language 2 units (recommended)

Considered for Regular Admission

To be considered for admission to the college, a student is expected to have a High School GPA of 2.3 or above, SAT critical reading and math composite 850 or above, or ACT composite of 18 and a College-prep curriculum. Students who do not meet these guidelines for consideration will be reviewed on an individual basis.

Provisional Admission

There are occasions when students whose credentials are insufficient for admission by the usual college standard may be given the opportunity to study at Centenary College. Students admitted under this stipulation may register for the normal course load of 16 credits and must prove their commitment to success.

Considered for Provisional Admission

  • HS GPA of 2.2 to 2.0.
  • SAT critical reading and math composite 840 to 740.
  • College-prep curriculum preferred.

Other Admission Opportunities

Educational Opportunity Program

The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides educational counseling and financial assistance to students whose academic records may or may not meet the standard entrance requirements; and who are economically disadvantaged. These students demonstrate the potential to contribute to the quality and diversity of the student body, and to succeed in college with the assistance of the supportive services offered by the EOP. Once accepted, initial freshmen students are required to participate in a six-week residential summer program. The summer program assists the students with their transition from high school to college, in addition to preparing them to meet the academic rigors at Centenary. EOP students are required to fulfill all requirements as stipulated in the college catalog and the EOP. Additional information on the EOP appears under Special Programs.

Summer Transition and Enrichment Program (STEP)

The Summer Transition and Enrichment Program (STEP) is designed to enhance the development of a student's self-advocacy, independence, interpersonal, and academic skills. The primary goal of STEP is to appropriately prepare the student for college-level work. Enrollment is limited to students who have specific learning disabilities and whose educational background indicates a need for basic skills remediation, developmental education, or specialized support challenges designed to address academic, social, and emotional concerns. Admission to the program is limited to those students who have been accepted for and intend to enroll at Centenary College in the fall semester, and may be a contingency of an offer to admission in the fall.

There is an additional fee for this program. Please visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current charges. For more information, contact the Disability Services Office located in the Harris and Betts Smith Learning Center.

Transfer Admission

A student wishing to transfer to Centenary College should have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better. In addition to following the regular admissions procedure, the transfer applicant must arrange to have official transcript(s) of college grades and course descriptions forwarded to the Transfer Admissions Office for evaluation of transfer credit, as well as a teacher recommendation. Students wishing to transfer to Centenary College on a part-time basis also should arrange to have their official transcript(s) sent directly to the Transfer Admissions Office. Centenary College evaluates a student's prior learning within the context of the College's own degree programs.

  1. As a signee of the State's transfer credit policy guide, Centenary adheres to a course-to-course transfer policy that guarantees students who transfer into Centenary College from a State of New Jersey public two-year college with an AA or AS degree.
  2. The evaluation of transfer credits is conducted unofficially through the Office of Transfer Admissions.
  3. Official transfer credit is awarded by the Transcript Evaluator upon receipt of final transcripts after the student submits an enrollment deposit.

Transfer Credit Guidelines

Enrollment Deposit

Upon acceptance as a full-time student, the College requests an enrollment deposit within 30 days from date of a student's acceptance. The deposit (visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current charges), which is deducted from the student's first semester tuition charges, is required of all newly admitted students. Students accepted into the EOP should visit www.centenarycollege.edu for their deposit amount. For students seeking campus housing, an additional deposit (visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current charges), which is deducted from the first semester residence charges for housing, also is required.

If the student decides to withdraw his/her enrollment, the deposit(s) will be refunded in full if the College is notified in writing by May 1. Notification of cancellation after May 1 will result in forfeiture of the deposit(s). Students planning to enter Centenary College as freshmen or transfers for the spring term are entitled to a full refund of their enrollment deposit provided the Admissions Office is notified of their cancellation in writing prior to December 31. Notification of cancellation after December 31 will result in forfeiture of the required deposit(s).


Readmission to Centenary College is not automatic. Students seeking readmission to Centenary should contact the Transfer Admissions Office to initiate the process which includes clearance from the Business Office, Registrar’s Office, Student Services, and Financial Aid Office. Procedures for readmission apply to those students who have previously attended Centenary, left the College for a period of at least one year, and have not attended college elsewhere during the interim. Students who have attended college elsewhere during their absence from Centenary are reviewed under both the transfer admission procedures and specific readmission procedures. Students seeking readmission after dismissal for academic reasons may petition for readmission after one academic year. The student is encouraged to have earned at least twelve to fifteen credits at an accredited institution of higher education with a 2.3 cumulative grade point average and must follow the readmission policies of the College.

Official transcripts from all institutions attended in the interim must be forwarded to the Admissions Office. No additional application fees are charged for students seeking readmission.

Deferral of Application

A student wishing to defer an application must notify the Admissions Office in writing of this intent on enrollment. Deferrals are permitted for one semester. A student wishing to be considered for admission after a file has been closed must reapply by submitting a new application with a new application fee. All records will be kept on file for two academic years following the original application date.

Final Transcripts

Our offer of admissions does not become final until you complete your senior year in high school. Your status as an admitted applicant is contingent on your continued excellence in academic achievement and personal character during the remainder of your secondary school career. A final transcript of your academic record, including a clear indication that you have graduated, must be sent to the Centenary Admissions Office as soon as possible after you graduate. Transfer students must complete the semester in good academic standing. Please be sure to have final, official transcripts forwarded to the Admissions Office to ensure credit evaluation and posting for all work successfully completed.

All students must submit proof of high school graduation or the equivalent.

Credit by Examination

Centenary College participates in the Advanced Placement Examination Program (AP), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), and the American College Testing Program (ACE). Students interested in receiving credit for advanced placement courses should take the specific examination sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board. Examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board and the American College Testing Program of the American College Testing Service are given in general and subject areas. Centenary will grant credit for scores at or above the "C" level as set forth in the equivalency tables prepared and published by these testing agencies.

Centenary also recognizes the strength of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and will award credits in transfer for students who have completed the Higher level exam scores of 5, 6, or 7. A maximum of eight credits may be awarded for each higher level exam. Official exam scores must be received by the College in order for credit to be awarded. A maximum of 16 semester hours of CLEP, DSST, or ACE credit may be applied toward an Associate's and 32 semester hours toward a Bachelor's degree.

Part-Time Studies Admissions Procedures

Every student wishing to take courses at Centenary College on a part-time basis (less than 12 credits per semester) must submit an "Application for Part-Time Studies" with a nonrefundable application fee (visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current fees).

Additionally, the following documentation must follow depending on whether you are a degree-seeking student (matriculated) or a non-degree seeking student (non-matriculated).

Matriculation Requirements

Under 24 years of age - High School graduates only (first-time college students):

  1. Official high school transcripts or GED;
  2. SAT or ACT scores;
  3. Complete immunization records;
  4. Admission Essay.

Under 24 years of age - Transfer students:

  1. Official transcripts from all colleges and post-secondary institutions attended;
  2. Official high school transcripts or GED;
  3. SAT or ACT scores if completed less than 24 college credits
  4. Complete immunization records;
  5. Admission Essay.

Over 24 years of age - High School graduates only (first-time college students):

  1. Official high school transcripts or GED;
  2. Complete immunization records.
  3. Admission Essay

Over 24 years of age - Transfer students:

  1. Official transcripts from all colleges and post-secondary institutions attended;
  2. Official high school transcript or GED;
  3. Complete immunization records;
  4. Admission Essay.

Post-Baccalaureate Admission Requirements

  1. Official transcripts from all colleges and post-secondary institutions attended;
  2. Verification of high school graduation or the equivalent;
  3. Complete immunization records.

Non-Matriculation & Visiting Student Admissions Requirements (not degree seeking)

  1. Verification of high school graduation or the equivalent;
  2. Complete immunization records;
  3. Official college transcript may be required if prerequisites are required

If extenuating circumstances exist which may affect the student's ability to complete this admissions file or obtain the pertinent documents in a timely fashion, a personal interview must be arranged with an admissions counselor prior to acceptance into Centenary College. Once a student's admissions file is complete, an admissions decision will be rendered and the student will then be notified of that decision. Once a student has been accepted, he/she is then eligible to register for classes. If a student applies for admission as a part-time student but chooses not to attend classes at that time, the accepted application is valid for one calendar year. After that time, the student must reapply and pay another application fee.

Non-Matriculation Policy

A non-matriculated student (non-degree) is a student who is taking credit bearing courses but not pursuing a degree. Non-matriculated students may register for courses on a space available basis, must demonstrate course pre-requisites, and may need approval from the respective departments of the College. Non-matriculated students register in-person after degree students have completed their registration. Non-matriculated students may take up to a maximum sixteen (16) credits in this status. Students looking to pursue a degree should not apply as a non-matriculated student. Non-matriculated students may be eligible for limited financial aid.

Personal tools