SPS Policies

From Centenary College Wiki
(Redirected from CCSPS Policies)
Jump to: navigation, search

School of Professional Studies (CCSPS) Catalog Main


Policy Disclosure

Centenary College seeks to provide students with the ability to demonstrate True Learning, Global Citizenship, Service Leadership & Team Building and a Values-Centered Life. Therefore, the College considers students for admission on the basis of their ability to successfully complete the academic curriculum while upholding the above core values and contributing positively to the broader academic community.

Admissions Requirements and Guidelines

Undergraduate Admission Requirements

Students seeking admission to Centenary College must be graduates of an accredited high school or preparatory secondary school, or the equivalent. A personal interview is strongly recommended. Centenary College admits students without regard to race, color, sex, handicap, age, and national or ethnic origin. To complete the application process, Centenary College requires the following:

  • An application form completed by the student and sent to the Admissions Office with a nonrefundable application fee. Visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current fees. This fee is not credited to the annual charge. It is used to offset the cost of processing the application to Centenary College.
  • Official transcript of all school records
  • At least 23 years old
  • At least three years work experience
  • Applicants who have English as a Second Language are required to furnish a score of 550 or above on a TOEFL examination taken within the last five years or obtain a satisfactory score on the Global English placement assessment.
  • Personal Statement

International Student Admissions Requirements

International students must meet the admission requirements for the specific program of study to which they are applying, and must additionally provide:

  1. Certification of English proficiency – official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE examination results.
  2. English translations of all college transcripts through the World Education Services (WES).
  3. Certification of Finances Form.
  4. Documentation of appropriate health and accident insurance.

Please Note: For more complete information, international students should contact the Office of International Programs.

No admission decision will be made until all steps in the application procedure have been completed. Applications and all associated information should be addressed to: The Office of Graduate Programs, Centenary College, 400 Jefferson Street, Hackettstown, NJ 07840.

Undergraduate Transfer Admissions

In addition to following the regular admissions procedure, the transfer applicant must arrange to have official transcript(s) of college grades and course descriptions forwarded to the SPS Parsippany site for evaluation of transfer credit. Centenary College evaluates a student's prior learning within the context of the College's own degree programs.

  1. As a signee of the State's transfer credit policy guide, Centenary adheres to a course-to-course transfer policy that guarantees students who transfer into Centenary College from a State of New Jersey public two-year college with an AA or AS degree. The evaluation of transfer credits is conducted unofficially through the Adult Admissions Office.
  2. Official transfer credit is awarded by the Transcript Evaluator upon receipt of final transcripts after the student submits an enrollment deposit.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Guidelines

The following criteria are used in the evaluation of transcripts presented to Centenary College by students seeking transfer admission:

  1. Residency Requirement: A minimum of thirty-two (32) credits must be completed at Centenary College in order for a student to earn a Centenary degree. The residency requirement must be Centenary classroom course credits (credits based on Prior Learning Assessment and/or CLEP examinations cannot be applied to the residency requirement).
  2. The evaluation of transfer credits is conducted through the Office of Admissions and/or the Registrar's Office from official documents received through the Office of Admissions or the Registrar's Office.
  3. A course may be transferred to a Centenary College degree program if (a) the student has earned a grade of "C-" or above for the course; (b) the course was taken in a degree granting, regionally or nationally accredited institution, or any school/college which is an active candidate for such accreditation as determined by the Database of Accredited Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs (c) the content of the course is the equivalent of a course offered at Centenary and/or consistent with the goals and objectives of the College's curriculum.
  4. Advanced Placement (AP courses) and credits earned through examination (e.g., College Level Examination Program or CLEP) may be applied towards a student's degree program. However, AP courses and/or CLEP credits are usually applicable only for transfer into the College's core, as elective credits, or in lieu of entry-level courses in a student's major field. AP and CLEP credits are not applicable for transfer in lieu of upper level courses (300 or 400 level) in one's major field without approval from the respective departments. AP and CLEP credits cannot be applied toward the College's final 32 credits residency requirement.
  5. Students with advanced standing, depending on their status upon entering the College, will be required to complete all of the College's core requirements for which they have not received comparable transfer credit.
  6. A maximum of 50% of the courses (credits) of a specified major program may be transferred toward the requirements of that major. Courses in excess of that percentage may be counted toward the elective portion of the degree program. Exceptions will be made for institutions with which Centenary has completed a formal articulation agreement.
  7. The exact amount of semester credit hours is transferred. Quarter hour course credit is transferred after multiplying that credit by two-thirds (2/3). One unit equals four (4) semester credit hours unless a different conversion is indicated on the transcript.
  8. College preparatory and remedial courses are not transferable.
  9. Pass (P) credit courses are not generally transferable. Exceptions are made for credit awarded by institutions whose standard of grading is the Pass/Fail system and/or the transcript denotes that a "P" grade is the equivalent of a grade of "C" in a graded course.
  10. Credit cannot be granted for courses for which the student has already received credit by examination or has received a passing grade in a comparable course.
  11. Credit cannot be granted for courses which students have tested out of at previous institutions unless that institutional transcript granted a passing grade of C- or better and credit for that examination.
  12. The cumulative grade point average does not transfer. A student's grade point average at Centenary is determined by the work completed at Centenary.
  13. Students from community (junior) colleges and/or proprietary schools are allowed a maximum of 72 semester credit hours which may be transferable to any Centenary baccalaureate degree program, to the extent that they are applicable to a particular program. A maximum of 96 credits from a four-year institution or combination of two and four-year institutions may be transferred.
  14. The result of the evaluation is given to the student and placed in the student's file on a form designated for that purpose. The student receives a copy of the evaluation form, upon which the credit hours received in transfer and their Centenary equivalencies are stated.
  15. Once the transcript evaluations are completed and the determination of which the College has accepted courses and credits is made, and the student has been informed of the evaluation, the student is advised to see his/her advisor or the appropriate Department Chairperson so that those credits and courses can be properly applied to their specific degree program.
  16. The student's designated academic advisor and/or appropriate Department Chairperson, following the initial transfer credit evaluation, is responsible for determining which of the credits received in transfer are directly applicable to the student's degree program and the distribution of specific transfer credits to the student's major. The actual number of courses/credits needed to complete a prescribed degree program, regardless of the total number of credits received in transfer, is directly related to this determination.
  17. International transfer students should discuss their options with the Director of International Studies.

Graduate Admissions Requirements

All candidates for admission must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in the appropriate discipline or completed course work providing appropriate preparation for graduate studies in their chosen field. The specific admission requirements for each for each graduate program of study are delineated below.

Admission Requirements for MBA Graduate Degree:

Admission Requirements

  • Completed application
  • Bachelor’s Degree including completion of undergraduate courses in Economics, Statistics, and Accounting with a grade of B or better. If those course have not been completed, they will be required in addition to the graduate courses
  • Original transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
  • Minimum cumulative GPA 2.5
  • Personal statement/essay
  • No GRE/GMAT required

Note: In order to be successful in the MBA program, students should be capable of good oral and written communication skills as well as the ability to succeed in quantitatively oriented programs.

MBA Provisional Admission Requirements

There are occasions when students whose credentials are insufficient for admission by the usual college standard may be given the opportunity to study at Centenary College. Students admitted under this stipulation may register for the normal course load and during the first two courses must prove their commitment to success.

Note: International students must submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE examination results and a completed Certification of Finances Form. An application fee (visit www.centenarycollege.edu) should also be included. For more complete information, international students should contact the Office of International Programs.

Admission Requirements for MHA Graduate Degree:

  • Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
  • GPA of at least 3.00 on a 4.00 scale
    • Students who do not meet this requirement may be considered on an individual basis based on the strength of additional qualifications such as evidence of progression in their profession, the successful completion of other graduate courses from a regionally accredited college or university with a grade of “B” or better, and/or other information submitted by the applicant.
  • Application and non-refundable application fee
  • At least one year full-time equivalent healthcare work experience
  • Two professional or academic letters of recommendation
  • Personal statement

MHA Application Documents

  • An official transcript of all school records
    • Other documentation as required if GPA is below 3.00
  • Completed application
  • Application fee. Visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current application fee.
  • Resume documenting at least one year’s full-time equivalent experience in the health industry
  • The personal statement should be 500 – 750 words in length and describe:

owhy the applicant selected Centenary College’s MHA program owhat specific competencies and skills does the applicant hope to acquire through this course of study (example, manage change, understand healthcare financial business principles) ohow the applicant believes this degree will professionally benefit her/him.

MHA Provisional Admission Requirements

There are occasions when students whose credentials are insufficient for admission by the usual MHA standards may be given the opportunity to study at Centenary College. Students admitted under this stipulation may register for the normal course load, and during their first two courses must prove their commitment to academic success. Students admitted conditionally because of an undergraduate GPA that is less 3.00 on a 4.00 scale must receive a grade of “B” or better in their first two MHA courses in order to remain in the MHA program.

MHA Transfer of Credits

A maximum of 6 graduate credits may be accepted for transfer into the MHA program. All credits in transfer must be approved by the Director of the MHA program, and must be determined at the time of the student’s initial enrollment. Courses accepted in transfer must be similar to required MHA courses offered by Centenary College. All credits eligible for transfer must be graduate credits from regionally accredited colleges or universities, and have been earned within six years of the date of credit transfer approval. To be considered for transfer, courses must carry a grade of “B” or better. The following courses cannot be transferred into the MHA program, and must be taken through the Centenary College’s MHA program: Research Methods, and Capstone.

Graduate Transfer Admissions

Upon application and before admission to the graduate programs, students may request transfer of up to six credits for the MA in Education: Instructional Leadership, MA in Education: Educational Leadership, MA in Special Education, M.Ed. in Educational Practice, MA in Leadership and Public Administration, Master of Health Administration and Master of Business Administration, and up to twelve credits for the MA in Counseling, MA in Counseling Psychology, and MA in School Counseling. All credits eligible for transfer must come from a regionally accredited graduate program and have been earned with six years of the date of credit transfer approval. All credits in transfer must be approved by the Director of the graduate program in which the student is enrolling and must be determined at the time of the student’s initial enrollment. Courses accepted in transfer must be similar to required or elective courses offered by Centenary College.

Enrollment Deposit

Upon acceptance as a full-time student, the College requests an enrollment deposit within 30 days from date of a student's acceptance and one week prior to Orientation. The deposit (visit www.centenarycollege.edu for current charges), which is deducted from the student's first course tuition charges, is required of all newly admitted students. If the student decides to withdraw his/her enrollment, the deposit(s) will be refunded in full if the College is notified in writing prior to two weeks before the start of their first course. Notification of cancellation after this time will result in forfeiture of the deposit(s).


Procedures for readmission apply to those students who have previously attended Centenary, left the College for a period of at least six months and have not attended college elsewhere during the interim. Students who have attended college elsewhere during their absence from Centenary are reviewed under both the transfer admission procedures and specific readmission procedures. Readmission is not automatic. Students seeking readmission to Centenary should contact the SPS Admissions Office to initiate the process . Official transcripts from all institutions attended in the interim must be forwarded to the SPS Admissions Office. No additional application fees are charged for readmission students.

Deferral of Application

A student wishing to be considered for admission after a file has been closed must reapply by submitting a new application with a new application fee. All records will be kept on file for two academic years following the original application date.

Credit by Examination

Centenary College participates in the Advanced Placement Examination Program (AP), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), and the American College Testing Program (ACT). Students interested in receiving credit for advanced placement courses should take the specific examination sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board. Examinations administered by the College Entrance Examination Board and the American College Testing Program of the American College Testing Service are given in general and subject areas. Centenary will grant credit for scores at or above the "C" level as set forth in the equivalency tables prepared and published by these testing agencies.

Centenary also recognizes the strength of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma and will award credits in transfer for students who have completed the Higher level exam scores of 5, 6, or 7. A maximum of eight credits may be awarded for each higher level exam. Official exam scores must be received by the College in order for credit to be awarded.

A maximum of 16 semester hours of CLEP, DSST, ACT, or IB credit, cumulative, may be applied toward an Associate's and 32 semester hours toward a Bachelor's degree.

Financial Information

Financial Aid

Centenary College provides information and counseling related to Federal, State, and institutional financial aid programs. . Anyone seeking financial assistance should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov.When completing the FAFSA, enter Centenary College’s school code, 002599. Centenary College administers Federal, State, and institutional financial without regard to gender, race, color, handicap, age, and national or ethnic origin.

Students who qualify for financial assistance will not be awarded aid over the estimated cost of attendance.

Application Deadlines

Deadline dates are different for Federal, State and college aid:

  • New Students should complete their FAFSA at least 2 months before their first course.
  • Continuing students should complete their FAFSA 2 months before the end of their award year.
  • Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) deadline for students who have not previously received TAG is no later than October 1st.
  • New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) deadline for students who have received TAG in the past is June 1st.

Federal grants include

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG).

State grants include

  • Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)

Student loan opportunities include

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loans
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Graduate PLUS loans
  • Alternative (Private) Loans

Parent Loan opportunities include

  • Federal Parent PLUS Loan

For more information about these and other financial aid opportunities, please visit the financial aid website at www.centenarycollge.edu/finaid.

Student Employment

Centenary College offers need-based Federal Work Study and Institutional College Work Study funds to eligible students. Opportunities exist to work at various locations on and off campus including designated community service locations.

Students are paid monthly for their hours worked. In order to maintain eligibility, students must maintain half time enrollment each semester.

For more information about Student Employment, please visit www.centenarycollege.edu and search student employment.

Financial Aid Eligibility

To be eligible for Federal and State financial aid programs, students must:

  • be accepted as a student in an eligible associates, bachelors, or graduate degree program
  • be making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes
  • have a high school diploma, General Education Development (GED) certificate, have successfully completed at least 6 college level credits applicable toward a degree, or received a minimum score on a federally approved ability-to-benefit test
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (this includes green card holders).
  • have a valid Social Security Number.
  • register with Selective Service if required.
  • not be in default on a previously awarded student loan or owe a refund on a previously awarded grant.

Different types of financial aid may have additional eligibility criteria. Many forms of financial aid are available for students in study abroad programs as well.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Financial Aid Office measures Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the end of each academic year for aid eligibility the following academic year. Students who are denied eligibility for financial aid based on their failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress have the right to an appeal. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Director for Financial Aid. Our full SAP Policy is available under the Policies section of our website at www.centenarycollege.edu/finaid.

Leave of Absence Policy for Financial Aid

Non-term students are entitled to take up to three (3) leaves in a 12 month period. A leave of absence (LOA) is defined as an approved break in attendance longer than 45 consecutive days and not exceeding 180 days in a 12 month period. All LOA requests must be approved by the Financial Aid Office and the student’s Program Advisor.

Student’s on an approved Leave of Absence and receiving federal financial aid may not be considered withdrawn, and a return of funds may not be required. However, students receiving a New Jersey Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) may forfeit some or all of their grant by taking a Leave of Absence.

If a Federal Return of Title IV Funds is required, the calculation will be completed using the last date of attendance and any unearned funds will be returned to their federal and/or state source. The return of these unearned funds may cause a tuition balance for which the student is responsible.

Withdrawal Policy for Financial Aid

Should a student withdraw from all courses (officially or unofficially) in a semester, his or her aid may be adjusted in accordance with Federal and State and institutional regulations. Tuition and charges will be adjusted according to the institution's refund policy. Withdrawal could impact aid that has been awarded for tuition and living expenses. To initiate a withdrawal, a "Withdrawal Form" must be completed in the Office of Student Engagement. Our full Withdrawal Policy is available under the Policies section of our website at www.centenarycollege.edu/finaid.

  • Please note: Any student receiving federal/state grants or loans are strongly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office (extension 2350) before withdrawing or taking a leave of absence.

Veteran's Benefits

Educational benefits may be available to eligible veterans and veteran’s dependents. Students who believe that they are eligible for such benefits should contact the Director of Veteran Services, Margie Pavlichko, at 908-852-1400, extension 2318, or by e-mail at pavlichkom@centenarycollege.edu.

Centenary College Institutional Refund Policy

The following is a summary of Centenary College's refund policies with regards to tuition, room and board, and fees. This policy is used to determine the adjusted costs the student is obligated to pay the College after the percentage to be refunded has been applied. This policy is not to be confused with Federal and State regulations regarding the return of Federal and state aid funds when a student receiving Federal and State financial aid withdraws. (Federal and State aid includes all aid identified on a student's financial aid award as a Federal or state scholarship, grant and/or loan.) A separate calculation, to determine the aid that must be returned, if any, is done according to Federal and State regulations. However, the percentage of funds that must be returned, as prescribed by the regulations, may not match the percentage used to determine costs. This may then create a balance owed by the student to the college above any prior unpaid balance or a balance due on federal grants, which must be repaid directly to the federal government. For detailed information or examples of the application of these policies, please contact the Bursar’s Office.

Note: Any Student receiving federal/state grants or loans are strongly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office (extension 2350) and the Bursar’s Office (extension 2365) before withdrawing or taking a leave of absence.

INSTITUTIONAL REFUND POLICY FOR ONGROUND & ONLINE ACCELERATED UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE PROGRAMS: School of Professional Studies (SPS) (Formerly known as CAPS)and main campus eight-week online courses)*

Refund of a Course’s charges will be made in accordance with the following schedule:

  • Withdrawal Prior to the start date of each course/session 100%
  • Withdrawal During the 1st week (first through seventh day of each course/session) 75%
  • Withdrawal During the 2nd week (eighth through fourteenth day of each course/session) 50%
  • Refund After the 2nd week (after the fourteenth day of the course/session) 0%

  • Effective January 30, 2014, any new student or readmit (someone who has been out for a period of six months or more) that does not attend class during the first two weeks will be marked as a RDNS and not held to the refund policy.

The date used to calculate the specific period of enrollment shall be the date on which the student notifies their Program Advisor in the School of Professional Studies in writing via email, of his/her intent to withdraw or take a leave of absence from the college or the course. The written notification date, not class attendance, is used to determine refund percentage. Refunds will be made in accordance with any federal and/or state loan or grant program regulations as applicable.

Institutional Refund Policy for 16 week Graduate Program Students for the Fall and Spring Semesters*

Refund of Semester Charges will be made in accordance with the following schedule:

  • Withdrawal Prior to the 1st day of semester classes … 100%
  • Withdrawal During the 1st week of classes … 75%
  • Withdrawal During the 2nd week of classes … 50%
  • Withdrawal During the 3rd week of classes … 25%
  • Withdrawal After the 3rd week of classes … 0%
  • Effective January 30, 2014, any new student or readmit (someone who has been out for a period of six months or more) that does not attend class during the first two weeks will be marked as a RDNS and not held to the refund policy.

Exceptions to Refund Policy

The following pertains to all College refund policies. Exceptions to the College refund policy may be made based on documentation of extraordinary circumstances, such a medical condition/emergency or accident. Request for extraordinary circumstances should be submitted immediately, however, no request will be considered 30 days beyond the end of the term in question. In most cases, the exception will be to pro-rate the costs of the term based on number of weeks attended prior to withdrawing or taking a Leave of Absence.

To apply for an exception, you will need to submit a brief written statement of explanation and documentation to:

Centenary College
Bursar’s Office
400 Jefferson Street
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Fax: 908-850-8313

Payment of Bills

All financial obligations to the College must be paid at the beginning of each course. Payment must be made in full, with monthly payments through Tuition Management Services (TMS), and/or Financial Aid sufficient to cover the cost of the semester. If the payment criteria have not been met before the start of the course, the College reserves the right to drop a student from his/her course. Once payment or satisfactory payment arrangements have been completed, the student will be allowed to re-register but will not be guaranteed placement in his/her originally scheduled course(s). A late payment fee will be charged prior to the student being allowed to re-register. Also, if prior payment criteria have not been completed the student’s account will be considered past due and be charged a late payment fee. Past due accounts will prevent a student from registering for the next course. Also, no grade report or transcript will be issued to any student, and no person may participate in Commencement or receive a degree if all financial obligations owed the College have not been met. A student whose grade report is withheld due to an unmet financial obligation may view his/her grades, in person, in the Registrar’s Office. The financial obligations include: tuition, room and board, and all other forms of indebtedness to the College such as special course fees, parking fines, library fines, return of laptop (if required), return of athletic equipment, and return of library books. Any financial obligations outstanding the trimester after the one for which a student was billed may be submitted to an outside collection agency. The student will then be responsible for any collection costs and/or attorney’s fees (30%-50% of the amount placed for collection). All checks should be made payable to Centenary College and not to any individual officer. Returned checks and ACH payments are subject to a service fee. For the latest and most up-to-date information on tuition and fees, please contact the Business Office or visit www.centenarycollege.edu

Personal tools